Water, wastewater & solid waste

RCAC assists rural communities to build, improve, manage, operate, or finance drinking water and wastewater systems. RCAC helped rural communities access millions of dollars in grants and loans and trained thousands of individuals through customized on-site technical assistance and workshops. Infrastructure development can be an extensive and intricate challenge, with a web of problems and details arising at every turn, including a lack of local experience. Following is a list of some services RCAC provides:

  • Project financial packaging
  • Grant & loan application assistance
  • Asset management strategies
  • Environmental regulatory requirements
  • Capital improvement planning
  • Energy audits for utilities
  • Hiring consultants, engineers & contractors
  • Municipal solid waste management
  • On-site wastewater operations
  • Operation & maintenance manuals
  • Restructuring & consolidation evaluation
  • Setting & reviewing rates
  • Training workshops
    • Energy use
    • Ethics & conflict of interest
    • Fiscal systems & financial management
    • Operator training
    • Water treatment

Rural Community Assistance Partnership (RCAP) launched the Managerial and Financial Hub on its website! The M&F Hub contains a collection of good resources related to various drinking water M&F topics from RCAP, from the regions, and from other organizations. The M&F Hub is a deliverable for RCAP’s EPA NPA 2 grant this year.

Access the M&F Hub here

Solid waste technical assistance

Solid waste technical assistance is a core area of RCAC’s expertise offered to communities across the American West. We have staff members who provide solid waste management technical assistance and training.

Solid Waste Technical Assistance

Services for Indigenous communities

We also serve Indigenous communities, primarily through our Tribal circuit rider program in California and Arizona, and also through programs in New Mexico and Utah.

Tribal Circuit Riders


If you would like to talk to an RCAC environmental rural development specialist about these or other services, please complete our Request for Assistance.