Solid Waste Technical Assistance

RCAC provides solid waste technical assistance and training to rural and Indigenous communities across the western United States, including Alaska and Hawaii. Currently, we provide assistance and training in the following areas:

  • Biomass Business Development
  • Community outreach and education strategies
  • Community townhall meetings
  • Developing composting programs
  • Developing household hazardous waste programs
  • Developing recycling programs
  • Financial analysis for waste management utilities
  • Health and safety training

  • Illegal dumping elimination strategies
  • Integrated Solid Waste Management Plans (ISWMP)
  • Landfill Operator training
  • Proper Disposal of Prescription drugs
  • Source Water Protection
  • Transfer station Operation training
  • Waste Audits (Characterization)
  • “Zero-waste” strategies

Community Examples

Below is a list of communities RCAC has partnered with to improve solid waste management:

  • Cold Springs Rancheria, CA
  • Confederated Tribes of the Colville, WA
  • Confederated Tribes of Goshute, UT
  • Eight NorthernIndian Pueblo Council, NM
  • KotlikEnvironmental Program, AK
  • Mora County, NM
  • Native Village of Hooper Bay, AK
  • Zia Pueblo, NM

  • NulatoIGAP Program, AK
  • San Carlos ApacheTribe, AZ
  • Scammon BayTribal Council, AK
  • Shoshone-Bannock Tribes, ID
  • Ute Mountain Ute Tribe, CO
  • Warm Springs Tribe, OR
  • Duck Water Shoshone, NV

Solid Waste Resources

The resources and templates below are available free of charge for any small solid waste utility/program, including transfer stations, and recycling centers.

Contact Information

If you would like to talk to an RCAC environmental rural development specialist about these or other services, contact RCAC’s main office at (916) 447-2854 and request Jacqueline Shirley or complete our Request for Assistance.